Floating Offshore Wind
It is forecasted that 20% of new offshore wind could be floating by the mid-2030s, with installed capacity predicted to grow to 115 GW. Floating Offshore Wind has taken the new pioneer role in large-scale renewable technologies with first demonstration projects around the world. Alongside a host of advantages with floating technology, new challenges need to be overcome, and understanding of the technical implications is of paramount importance.
OWC’s team – including specialist integrated load analysis experts from INNOSEA (Part of OWC) – provides full-service floating offshore wind consultancy, including all necessary technical studies. In addition, we combine our offshore wind knowledge with that of parent company ABL Group’s vast floating structure experience acquired in the offshore oil & gas sector.
Together, we have a team that can realise your floating technology or project. Bringing real project experience derived from involvement in some of the world’s earliest and biggest floating projects dating back to 2009.
Supply chain in demand, pushing up costs and availability of goods.
Variable water depth, seabed type and environmental conditions can make it difficult to select the correct floating foundation type.
Availability of expert personnel to support.
Lack of suitable port infrastructure to accommodate space needed for floating components.
On-site maintenance and repairs are complicated and costly.
Where we work
Total offshore wind projects
Total offshore wind capacity
What we do
- Cables assessment
- Electrical Assessment
- Wind Measurement Advisory
- Energy Yield Assessment
- Wind Turbine Generator selection
- Floating foundation assessment & selection
- Planning & feasibility, inc existing infrastructure
- CAPEX & DEVEX modelling
- Site conditions and measurement
- Power market structure
- Seabed leasing and offshore tendering
- Policy and regulations
- Route-to-market for power sales
- Concept design, Pre-FEED and FEED
- Consents and environmental management
- Detailed design reviews and interface management
- Electrical, grid and transmission
- Installation Concept Reviews
- Construction monitoring, including site representation
- Risk management
- Health and safety management
- Preparation of Contingency Plans
Technical Due Diligence
- Lender’s technical advisory
- Evaluation of operating and maintenance costs
- Review of logistic concepts for construction and operation
- Assessment of project schedule feasibility
- Review of studies, e.g. grid, hydrology, etc.
- Pre and post-contract reviews
The value we bring
Market leaders in floating offshore wind engineering and consultancy.
Experts in feasibility, project planning and development, and auction support.
Global presence with teams across 63 offices and 38 countries.
Supported clients to over 20% of successful bids in the ScotWind leasing round, amounting to 5.2GW of successful leasing with 3.2GW floating.
Produce in-house digital software solutions to overcome technical issues, such as STATIONIS.
Involved in some of the world’s earliest and biggest floating projects dating back to 2009.