Project title: SEATURNS Wave Energy Converter Testing
Project location: Spain
INNOSEA, part of OWC, supported the wave basin testing of SEATURNS’ wave energy prototype – an innovative solution to overcome common challenges and enhance the technology’s commercial viability.
The Seaturns prototype benchmarks existing wave energy conversion technologies with the challenges that hamper its scalability. The aim was to develop a model that is resistant to different sea conditions, with energy conversion ability corresponding to different types of swell. The prototype has also been designed to minimise and facilitate maintenance operations, reinforce ease of installation, and increase the technology’s versatility for deployment in different markets.
The testing was successfully carried out in Cantabria Coastal and Ocean Basin (CCOB)’s wave basin in Spain.
Our scope of work
- Support testing, calibration and characterisation of its SEATURNS prototype in realistic sea conditions.
- Collaborating in establishing a test plan and providing near real-time data analysis to support future decision-making.
- Created an environment as close as possible to real sea conditions, utilizing an innovative tank testing procedure developed by INNOSEA.
Start date: January 2021
- Replicating realistic site conditions to test durability prior to deployment
- Ensuring the suitability of mooring cables in relation to predicted volatile conditions associated with locations of wave energy device utilisation
- Calculating potential future internal forces at the conceptual design and construction phases
- Drafted a detailed numerical model for the system developed.
- Built a simulator of the dynamic behaviour of the concept in order to conduct parametric studies and design variations with more flexibility and speed than with physical models tested in a laboratory
- As a result of the trial, a new catenary mooring configuration was selected as the project moves forward into development
- The new mooring concept proved to enable greater performance from the prototype at key periods
- Industry-leading marine renewables expertise with dedicated in-house professionals
- +40 Wave & Tidal Projects in 7 jurisdictions