East Point Geo, Oxford, UK
The Engineering Geoscientist will work as part of a team on engineering and consultancy assignments for a range of offshore and onshore engineering projects in the renewable and oil and gas sectors, specialising in site characterisation and the development of ground models.
East Point Geo provides independent consultancy in all aspects of terrain, subsurface and soil geoscience to support ground engineering projects offshore and onshore. Our geoconsultancy services are centred on the practical application of geology, geophysics, geomorphology, geotechnics and geographic information systems (GIS). We respond efficiently to client demands, integrate seamlessly within larger multidisciplinary teams and have a proven high level of technical expertise.
Key responsibilities and duties
- Support ground model development for offshore and onshore developments under the guidance of the ground model team lead:
- Desk study data research, appraisal and collation.
- Terrain evaluation and mapping.
- Subsurface geophysical data interpretation.
- Integrated geotechnical unitisation.
- GIS data management with a rigorous approach to data management, cataloguing received information, and consistent and clear formatting for data visualization.
- Development of report deliverables, including drafting of report sections and preparation of illustrative diagrams, charts and graphs to communicate methodology and results.
- Contribute to other geoconsulting activities within the team, including quantitative risk assessments, geospatial analysis, and geotechnical characterisation.
- Support proposal preparation in response to new enquiries.
- Support project management process for ongoing projects.
- Attend regular internal meetings and external / third-party meetings as required.
- The primary place of work for the role is our Oxford office, with flexibility to working hours.
- Some offshore or onsite working may be a requirement of the job, and may include overseas travel.
- BSc in Geology, Earth Sciences, Geography or other related subject
- First or upper second class honours degree
- Further education (Master or PhD) in relevant area
- 3 years or more in a relevant earth-science related role
- Knowledge of offshore engineering industries
- Experience of geophysical survey and/or geotechnical data acquisition
- Experience of interpreting geo-data and developing ground models
Technical skills, knowledge and abilities
- Excellent technical earth science knowledge
- Proficiency with standard Office software, specifically MS Excel, MS Word and MS Powerpoint
- Working knowledge of geospatial software (GIS), ability to understand spatial datasets, work within a map framework and think and understand in three-dimensions
- Working knowledge of soil mechanics
- Attention to detail, high level of numerical accuracy and good self-checking
- Excellent report writing skills and communication skills
- Knowledge and experience of geophysical and geotechnical data acquisition and analysis
- Knowledge of basic principles of engineering foundations for offshore structures
- Working knowledge of geophysical interpretation software (preferably IHS Kingdom)
Behavioural skills and personal attributes
- Ability to work under own initiative with minimum supervision
- Ability to prioritise work
- Good interpersonal skills, a strong team player with pro-active approach
- Outgoing and pragmatic with strength of character
- Well organised and self-directed
- Proficiency in a second language is an advantage
- Candidates must have the Right to Work in the UK
- No recruiters or agencies will be considered; direct applications only
- Deadline for accepting applications: 15th September 2021
- Start date: October 2021 onwards
- Please apply by filling out the online form and attaching your CV